For this project I wanted to use a location I've used before due to its boggy / woodland feel. I descended on Hadleigh Country Park, accompanied by the largest crew one could hope for in the form of mosquitoes! That aside I did manage to get a few good shots without a single drop of blood donated to the local mozzie eatery. The night before as I laid in bed, I created visions in my minds eye of what the end result might look like. I settled on the idea of origami! The following morning I trawled YouTube to learn how to make an origami boat then jumped in the car. The initial spot I wanted to use was a tad more dank than I had hoped for. I took some shots but I couldn't get the angle I wanted, so I moved around the location until I found something that worked.
I did try to shoot the boat in the water while on location, but with the breeze that was around I just couldn't get anything that looked right. I wasn't worried about this though as I felt confident I could composite the boat in later. Ergo the bucket of water, Hollywood eat your heart out!
As I completed each prop/model shot I did a very rough edit in Photoshop to drop the items into my background image. This allows me to quickly check if I can get the two images to 'gel' nicely before moving on to the next prop. For the model shot I used nothing more than natural daylight and a grey backdrop in the garden. I did have to ask the other half to hold the frame as this thing was acting like the main sail of a boat!
Once all the elements were composited I felt the image was a little empty. The light was fading by this point so I just whipped up a paper aeroplane after my attempts to make a bird failed miserably!
Then it was just a case of refining masks, colour correcting and colour grading the image. I did get some input from my other half who felt that the water around the boat needed more ripples. So I just duplicated the lower half of the image, used the ZigZag (pond ripples) filter and used the 'Transform > Perspective' tool. And finally I masked out the bits that I didn't want from this layer.
And viola! We have our final piece... that's a wrap darlings!
You might like to check out this great tutorial from Lady Caroline on using the pen tool: https://carolinerutland.wordpress.com/2015/04/22/using-the-dash-dot-dash-technique-for-frustration-free-use-of-the-pen-tool/